Just Another Snake Cult is the internationally acclaimed musical endeavor of Icelandic-born artist/musician Þórir "Thor" Bogason. Prior to Just Another Snake Cult, Thor was a long-standing member of world-favorite, Santa Cruz, CA-based band, James Rabbit.
Seasonally bouncing between Iceland and the United States, Thor performs with an eight-person ensemble in Iceland, while in the US he has been accompanied by Erin Birgy (Mega Bog), Zach Burba (iji), Shelby Turner (Sundance Kids), Scott Jones (Monsters From Mars, The Scepters), Jon Beals (Jeans Wilder, The Scepters), and others, along with occasionally including and collaborating with Seattle-based producer, Slashed Tires.
- Comes as a cassette with digital download (download exclusive with purchase of this release)
- Chipboard case with screenprinted artwork by Vince Waring of Santa Cruz, CA (actual screening by Off Tempo)
- All songs by Thor, except "Way Over Yonder in the Minor Key" by Woody Guthrie / Billy Bragg
- Artwork screen-print quality varies
It’s tough to write a good song. It’s a good thing we have Just Another Snake Cult’s Thor Anderson to show us how it’s done! This tape is a heap of pop musicality shrouded in perfectly awkward synthesizer musings that are at once a throwback and fresh. Every song is good, catchy and interesting - a real accomplishment from a still relatively underrated writer like Thor. Included is a radical rethinking of Woody Guthrie’s “Way Over Yonder In The Minor Key”, which does exactly what all of my favorite covers do - do justice to the original composition while making the song the artists’ own.
– Tom Filardo of Suave Citation
There is a dream-like, instrumental quality to the album, and although though most tracks have lyrics, the resonating sharpness of the synths and singer/band leader Þórir Bogason’s mumbled way of singing combine to undercut them, almost to the point where they are not necessary.
– Bergrún Anna Hallsteinsdóttir of the Reykjavik Grapevine